Monday, March 11, 2013

Houston Rodeo 2013



Every Houstonian loves rodeo time. It's time to bring out the cute western wear, eat good, and catch a great show. Many big name artists come to the rodeo every year. The artists are usually country singers such as Tim McGraw, Zac Brown Band, The Band Perry, etc but they will have other genres as well. I've been in the past for Maroon 5 and Rascal Flatts. This year, we went to see Bruno Mars. Here's a rundown of my day at the rodeo.

What I wore to the rodeo: I decided to wear my lacy white dress adorned with a roped brown belt. I wore my longhorn earrings, double layered a horse shoe necklace and longhorn necklace. I finished my outfit off with my brown boots. My beau is wearing a sweater and gray jeans. Anything goes at the rodeo from casual non-themed outfits to the all out cowboy boots, hat, and belt.

Our first stop was to feed our growling bellys. At the Rodeo there is southern food galore - BBQ, Fried happiness, Beer, Seafood (crawfish, shrimp, po'boys), and Tex-Mex. I am in fried food heaven. I always have to pick up some fried oreos (pictured in the right middle image). It's like a funnel cake and oreo got married and had a baby. A delicious, sweet, baby.
Next we went into the Reliant Arena where there is more food, shopping, dining, decorations, and animals. We had some fun with a floating hat at the entrance.

Inside the Reliant Arena are tons of farm animals. They show case all sorts of cattle and pig breeds. There's a cute birthing center with all sorts of baby farm animals - pigs, sheep, cows, chickens. If you're lucky, you can catch a birthing! 


Outside the Reliant Arena is a fairgrounds with carnival games galore, rides (complete with 3 ferris wheels!) and more fair-themed foods - pizza on a stick, more fried happiness (snickers, key lime pie, kool aid). Of course, what fair is complete without stuff animal prizes that your s.o. can win for you? Unfortunately, the fair grounds was fairly empty as people filed into the stadium for the Rodeo and Concert. Manny and I went head to head on the water game and I won a Hello Kitty for myself! If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself!

Lastly, in the Reliant Stadium is the rodeo show (rounding cattle, horse races, etc) and the concert. The rodeo starts at 6:45PM and the concert comes on at 9PM. I was too busy trying to figure out how to make Hello Kitty mine and missed the rodeo show but we made it just in time for Bruno Mars. Bruno Mars was amazing live! After watching him at the Rodeo, I'm definitely a bigger fan and want to see him in August when he returns to Houston to perform at the Toyota Center.

Bruno Mars performing Locked Out of Heaven at the Rodeo in Houston.

No comments: