Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Advice #1: Get Involved!

I can't believe it's already November! I officially graduate in 1 month. So the countdown begins! Let's pray that in one month I will have a job offer to talk about. Job recruiting is quite scary. I tell people that I am auditioning to be a grown up. I get that excited-anxious feeling all over again. The same one you feel before college starts and you ponder about your new, changed life. The same feeling I had prior to studying abroad, excited but anxious about my new adventures. Here we meet again at the next major life change in my life. My stepping stone into adulthood. I will be flying to a few places this month. So far, I've been scrambling to get my work turned in early and making arrangements with my classmates to get notes and record lecture.

As my undergraduate life is winding down. I'd like to offer some words of wisdom for any aspiring undergraduates.

Advice #1: Get Involved!
Join organizations on campus and get involved. Not only go to meetings but become an active member and ultimately an officer or decision maker. Use Freshman year to feel out which organizations you like most and stay committed to 1 or 2 you really like. Don't spread yourself thin and join tons of organizations as a resume booster. In actuality, recruiters are more impressed with people who climb their way to the top of an organization instead of shallow memberships. Many of my social circle came from the student organizations I am active in. You gotta put yourself out there because you get the same as you put in. If you just attend meetings and leave, you won't make any new friends. Take the time to get to know other people.

I also made the mistake of thinking 4 years is a long time. I pushed checking out other organizations I've always wanted to be a part of and before I knew it, I was a Senior in my spring semester. Better late than never, but being older makes it harder to get into the groove of an organization like a Freshman would. Seniors have job recruiting and other matters to worry about. So definitely take advantage and capitlize on your time!

No comments: