Monday, June 15, 2009

Dinner and a Movie?

I am a self-proclaimed foodie. Foodie is an informal term for an amateur who love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news. Food is definitely my hobby.


Which is why it becomes a shocker to me that I've never watched food network. Alice and I started watching food network this weekend and I absolutely fell in love with it. We watched the cake challenges on Food Network Challenge and I was enamored by what a cake could become. Daniel and I also watched The Next Food Network Star and I'm so captivated by the show. It's a mixture of drama and food! What could get better than that? I was drooling as I watched all the awesome food and I was definitely getting into it screaming blasphemy at the TV when Brett and Teddy tried to tattle on Melissa when THEY offered to help her. It's amazing how TV and a little stress can turn grown 40+ year old men into little boys. What a shame. My favorites on the show are Jamika, Debbie, and Michael so I hope they get far!

- - -

Daniel and I went to watch The Hangover today and I have to say I was thoroughly entertained. I was laughing from beginning to the end. 2009 has produced some of the best movies thus far in my opinion.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

The Hangover (5/5)
This is about a bachelor party gone wrong. 2 days before his wedding, Doug (Justin Bartha) takes a road trip to Las Vegas with his best buddies for a night they would never forget. Unfortunately, they woke up with a terrible hangover without a trace of memory from the night before. The movie keeps you laughing from the very beginning. Each time you think it's the worse that it could get, it keeps getting worse. The guys are put into hilarious situations as they recover the night before. I loved all the characters from the gay Chinese man to Mike Tyson. It's fun as you watch them put all the puzzle peices together from the night before. It's definitely a must see.



Up (5/5)

Up is the most amazing pixar movie and has definitely rose to the top of my favorite movies of all time. It's a delightful animated film that takes you through a journey of multiple emotions. I loved that the hero of the story isn't what you would typically describe a hero. Heroes are always depicted as strong, young, masculine characters but the hero of Up is an 78-year-old man named Mr. Carl Frederickson. From the very beginning of the movie, you already feel sad and your heart goes out to Mr. Frederickson when his wife dies. It's amazing how they could pull such emotion from you within the first 5 minutes of the film with minimal talking. Overall it was such a heartwarming tale and a beautiful story. I absolutely loved every minute of it.

No comments: