Thursday, September 13, 2012

Homemade Cheddar Jack Cheez-its


Was that an earthquake?...

......Or did you just rock my world? ;)

Face it. I love cheese - cheesy pick up lines, cheese and wine, hot cheetohs, cheez-its... when my coworker Meg sent me a link for home-made cheez-its, I was all over it. I'm not a super huge fan of sharp cheddar cheese so I went with Mexican Cheddar Jack cheese instead hence the lighter coloration of the crackers. These were super easy to make and very tasty. Each crispy, buttery, cheesy bite was a bit of heaven. I used the Wilton Fondant Crinkle Shape Cutter and a toothpick to put a hole in the middle.



Homemade Cheddar Jack Cheez-Its 
 Print this recipe
Adapted from Rachel Cooks

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 8 ounces cheddar jack cheese, grated
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
1. In a food processor, pulse everything except water together until it looks like course crumbs.
2. While pulsing, add in water 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Remove from food processor, wrap in plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Roll out dough (very thin) and cut into squares. Use a toothpick to poke a hole in the middle of each cracker.
6. Place crackers on lined baking sheet. You can place them fairly close together, as they do not really expand. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until crispy.

I usually get pretty shape happy/bored with using the same cutter. I made little star shapes as well. I could not get the Big Tymers song out of my head though - oh yeah, oh yeah!

Daddddddy, you make me feel like a star! oh yeah oh yeah x 2 


No comments: