Friday, March 1, 2013

Asian Zing Salmon with Sauteed Baby Bok Choy Recipe


Unda da sea, unda da sea, down where is betta down where it's wetta take it from me! Today's recipe features from the deep blue. I'm not a huge fan of seafood. Something about crustaceans and claws doesn't sit well with me. 

I have many caveats when it comes to seafood:
- I don't like shrimp or squid or fish unless it's fried
- The only non-fried seafood I eat is salmon but I don't like raw salmon
- I don't like crustaceans period

So it was confusing to Manny when we first started dating. It's too high-maintenance to be listing out my seafood rules so I just blanket it as "I don't like seafood". Lo and behold, we go to Brio and I order calamari (fried squid - check) and grilled salmon (salmon that's not raw - check). He looks at me with mass confusion and says "are you sure you don't like seafood?" and then here I go listing out my caveats as he questions what he's gotten himself into. "wait, what?"

Anyway, Salmon is the closest I will get to cooking seafood at home. I had leftover Asian Zing Sauce from my baked chicken wing's earlier this week so I marinated my salmon in it. Best. Idea. Ever. I added sauteed baby bok choy to the side and I have a nice asian-inspired meal.

Asian Zing Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter 
  • 1/4 cup of honey 
  • 1/4 cup of Sriracha sauce 
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 1 tsp of garlic powder 
  • 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes 
  • juice from half a lime 
Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add the honey, Sriracha, soy sauce, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and lime juice and stir. Bring to a simmer while stirring with a whisk until the mixture bubbles gently, remove from heat, stir with the whisk, and set aside for use.

Pan-Seared Salmon
Ingredients:
  • 4 8 oz fillets 
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • pepper
  • half a lemon
Directions:
1. Marinate the salmon in Asian Zing Sauce overnight.
2. Heat oil in medium pan on medium heat
3. Place fillets skin down on pan
4. Cook each side for about 4-5 minutes
5. Sprinkle pepper and lemon juice on top of cooked fillets

Sauteed Baby Bok Choy
Ingredients:
  • 1 bag of baby bok choy
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tsp of soy sauce
Directions:
1. Wash baby bok choy thoroughly. Cut ends off.
2. Heat oil in pan on medium-high heat
3. Add garlic to oil until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
4. Add baby bok choy and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add soy sauce.
6. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.


No comments: