Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Baked Chicken Wings Recipe


Anybody that knows anything about me knows how much I LOVE, I mean LOVE, chicken wings. Guess it's your lucky day, you are now anybody that knows anything about me ;). I mean, I can eat chicken wings everyday and not get tired of it. There's a caveat though - I only like the flaps. The flaps are so juicy and yummy. That layer of fat on one side is a dream come true. The drummies, the dryer counterpart, got nothing on flaps. Cue Bruno Mars -  drummies ain't got nothing on youuuu (flaps), nothing you youuuu (flaps!). And I can't tell you the agony when restaurants won't let me order just flaps.

So, it makes sense to make my own wings. After some trial and error... a big no-no is to bake them on foil. I was scraping chicken off for days and crying as my flappies were falling apart before my eyes. Now I just grease the pan and stick them right on. I've had fun with different sauces as well. I've perfected buffalo, asian zing, and lemon pepper. Mango-habanero is still a work in progress..... progress not perfection! Or so I'm told.

Anyway, I love the control I have with making my own wings. First, I bake instead of fry them so it's a tad bit healthier before I lather them in buttery sauces. I also can control how many flavors / # of each flavor I can have. HAH take that BW3 and your 8 wing minimum per sauce. Also, I save the leftover sauce and concoct them into other delicious delectables like a buffalo chicken pizza or asian zing salmon. Those will be future posts for another day. We'll move onward to how to make these yummy chicken wings!

WINGS:
Ingredients:
  • ~28 chicken wing flaps
  • 1 cup of olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • salt & pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp each-ish)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Wash wings thoroughly and pat dry
3. Put olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl
4. Toss wings in olive oil mixture and place on greased cookie sheet (don't use foil, it will stick like a motherclucker!)
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350°F. Then bake 10-15 minutes on 400°F.
6. Toss wings in sauce of choice - see below! - I start making the sauces after placing wings into the oven.

I played with the temperature and bake times for a good while. When I baked it at 400°F for 45 minutes, the wings became too crispy and dry. When I baked them at 350, they were not as crispy and took longer. I found the happy medium of 350 then 400 for a juicy wing with a nice crisp.

SAUCES:
all coat about 15-20 wings

Buffalo:
via allrecipes.com
Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup Frank's RedHot® - a must, do not substitute
  • 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter
  • 1 tbsp of white vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
  • 1/8 tsp of garlic
Directions:
1. Combine the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a pot and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer while stirring with a whisk. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble on the sides of the pot, remove from heat, stir with the whisk, and set aside for use.

Asian Zing:
Ingredients:

  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup of honey
  • 1/4 cup of Sriracha sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp of garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
  • juice from half a lime 
Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add the honey, Sriracha, soy sauce, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and lime juice and stir. Bring to a simmer while stirring with a whisk until the mixture bubbles gently, remove from heat, stir with the whisk, and set aside for use.

Lemon Pepper:
Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 6 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
Directions:
1. Combine melted butter with lemon pepper seasoning.

No comments: