Wednesday, April 1, 2009

When one door closes, another opens

It's as if my body is playing an April Fool's Day joke on me. Today, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Or rather, I prefer saying I woke up in the wrong stage of sleep. The idiom has always bugged me. Waking up on a "side" is so arbitrary and it affecting your mood or condition seems irrelevant. In my psychology class, we learned that the stage of sleep you are in more affects how you feel when you wake up. If you wake up in light sleep, you feel more refreshed. However, if you wake up in deep sleep you'll feel groggy.

I'm guessing I woke up in deep sleep cause I woke up with an excruciating headache and feeling like laying in bed instead of going to my 3 classes. But of course, I pushed myself to go especially since I had a presentation in MKT 460 today. You would think that after having to present all my life through grade school, and then weekly for ABSA meetings, presentations would be a slice of pie. However, I'm always still nervous before each time I present. Thanks to ABSA, it's not as bad as it use to be but the nervous feeling is still there.

I can't believe it is already April, which means there a little over a month before my 3rd year ends, my VP term for ABSA ends, and my back to back life changing events begins. I learned a lot as Internal VP and even though at times it was very stressful, each moment was worth it. I learned a lot about myself in terms of leadership, discipline, and time management. Also, working with the executive panel has taught me much about character. You lose respect for some and you gain for others. There has been buzz about prospective candidates for your positions and I love talking to interested people about it but it also makes me sad because it's more evident that the term is ending. All in all, I encourage EVERYONE run for office, make a difference, and work behind the scenes of any organization that they are passionate about, be it ABSA or not. It's a great learning experience and one you would never regret or forget.

Well, it's coming to a wrap for ABSA in my life. But as people say, when one door closes another opens. I can't wait to see what lies ahead!

No comments: