Saturday, August 11, 2012

Life is like a box of chocolates...



Forrest Gump is one of my all time favorite movies. This is probably one of the most memorable lines to me. Of course it has to do with food. Sweet. Sweet. Delicious. Food.


Like an anxious 10-year-old me who goes to the end of the book before the beginning, I'm going to show you the end result before the first chapter. Spoiler! :)  



1) Peanut Butter Oreo Truffles - Pretty much like the oreo truffles I made in years past except with Peanut Butter Oreos {duh}. Why re-create the wheel? (aka laziness)
2) Milk Chocolate with Nutella Filling
3) White Chocolate with Peanut Butter and Jelly
4) Milk Chocolate with Nutella Fudge
5) White Chocolate with Nutella
6) Milk Chocolate with Peanut Butter and Jelly
7) White chocolate with Nutella Fudge
8) Milk Chocolate with Peanut Butter 

The theme of these chocolates is Peanut Butter and Nutella. I haven't had Nutella in so long... but that first tablespoon was a catalyst for many more tablespoons. I forgot how addicting that stuff is! It's so freaking good it should be illegal. The Nutella Fudge is from that about.com page aka I forgot to take pictures for a step by step. (It's been a while). 

The number one question I keep getting asked is: How do you get that heart in the middle?!?! Well today is your lucky day! You will find out soon enough. The inspiration came from my pinterest addiction. I saw a cute heart baked cupcake when I was on a pinterest frenzy. I thought it would be a great idea for chocolates. I applied the same concept - see below!

{Peanut Butter Filling}


Ingredients:

- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter  
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar 

Heat peanut butter, brown sugar, and butter in a pot over medium heat and stir constantly. Once the mixture starts bubbling, remove from heat. Start adding powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time and stir completely in. It will harden the mixture as you see below.

Mmmm look at this giant ball of peanut butter. I put saran wrap on it and stuck it in the fridge for about an hour to harden it up to make it easier to cut into shapes.


Once the peanut butter mixture was hardened up a bit, I spooned out a tablespoon of the mixture and rolled it into a ball. I then flattened it to about 1/2'' thick. Then I cut little heart shapes with the smallest heart in the Wilton heart shaped fondant cutter.

Then I piped melted chocolate into the mold about 1/3 full. I stuck the heart in upside down (remember when you pop it out its inverted). Then I filled it with chocolate to the top. Put it in the fridge to harden for 30 minutes.

Tips: Melt chocolate over a double boiler for best results. Spray the mold with baking spray with flour (not adding your own flour, there's a spray that is for baking that has flour in it) for it to pop out easier.

Ta-da! Heart shaped peanut butter chocolates. Make sure you remember which way its facing. If you cut it the wrong way, you just get a nice ol' rectangle. 

The genius I am bought only one mold. Didn't want to sit in the kitchen forever, so I also used a mini muffin tin to make home-made "reese's". Same concept, you pipe in chocolate about 1/3 full and put your filling of choice: nutella fudge, peanut butter filling, nutella, or peanut butter filling with strawberry jelly. I find it helpful to use icing piping bags for all thedifferent fillings.

Ta da!

Box it up nicely and tie it with a bow for presentation.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

So creative! Still haven't tasted your cake pops tho! :)

Home Loan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.