Friday, July 16, 2010

Striking Gold

Today is my mommy's birthday!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to my mom for all of her support and encouragement. I can't ask for a more enthusiastic and supportive Mom. I wish I could be there with you to celebrate!


_____________________________

These weeks are going by way too fast. I can't believe I just finished my 8th week. Only 4 more weeks left! This week was very busy. We went to Kansas City on Monday to look at a few Sam's Clubs and various competitors. We ate at Oklahoma Joe's and it's listed as one of the top thirteen places to eat before you die according to Anthony Bourdain. He's not lying, it's freaking amazing BBQ. The line is crazy long but their motto is "eat it and beat it" and surprisingly, even though its a full house, by the time you get your food there should be a table open for you. When you are finished eating, the cleaning lady urges you to go. Loves a place that sticks by its motto :)

Quick News:

  • This week the interns have been putting their creative juices together and working on a promotional video for Walmart Careers. I was in the group that is creating a music video. Once we get it up and going, I will share it! 
  • Sadly, this week was also the last week for our main HR contact, Aleeya. She's leaving to pursue an MBA at Cornell. We got a card together and wished her our best.
  • Interns vs. Executives Charity softball game was on Thursday. We kept the tradition with losing to the Executives 11 times in a row. BUT! We raised $3500 for the Youth Bridge of Benton County (woo hoo!!!) and in the next two weeks, some of the interns will be volunteering at the center and through the Walmart Volunteerism Always Pays program, our pay times the number or hours we volunteer will be donated to the organization from Walmart on our behalf.... more opportunities to raise money for the Charity!


My co-intern John and I have been knocking out our projects left and right. Today, we had to give two small presentations: one in front of our division and then another in a sales meeting with all of the merchants. It was nerve wracking but once I got up in front of others, I felt very comfortable as I saw gleaming faces in the audience. Everyone in the office encouraged and gave us a "job well done" after the merchant sales meeting. It feels nice to be recognized and encouraged for the little and big things. I just love everyone on my floor. All the buyers are so great, encouraging, supportive, and fun. I feel like I'm the entire division's interns. I really understand now what people meant by its all about the people you work with. The people at Sam's are seriously some of the smartest, nicest, most genuine people I have ever met. I think I've struck gold with this internship. I love it more with each passing day.

After work, me and a few of the interns went to eat at Ruby Tuesday and watched Despicable Me. It was a super cute movie and I highly recommend it. After watching the movie, I want a minion!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

proud of you! "add oil" :)